I know what you’re thinking.. we’re in mid-February & I’m barely posting my New Year Resolutions/Goals. Well, I was really debating whether or not to talk about this publicly because who really likes to let the internet know what your goal is and then have someone bring it up to you 2 years later asking if you accomplished it and you have to awkwardly say no? Lol. But I also feel like putting it out there can sometimes help you achieve whatever it is you want to do because its a lot easier to give up on a resolution or goal when no one knows it. I know many people don’t like doing the whole New Year Resolution thing #NewYearNewMe & I used to be that person! I always thought if you want to set a goal then just do it. Why wait for a certain date? That was me until last year when a group of my friends & I made a list and I for once stuck to it! 1. was because I had a deadline on it (before 2017) & 2. because others knew what my goals were so no way was I gonna let them see me not accomplish them lol! And from that list, I made last January came this blog! So if something so great as creating my own blog came from last years list, I can only imagine what will come from this years list. So I thought about what it is I wanted to accomplish this year in all areas of my life and here it is…
- Read more. Reading a book is like watching a movie to me. You get to escape from your world into the story you are reading. I also really want to build up my vocabulary & I know reading will help with that. I have a huge habit of buying books and never reading them. Don’t ask me why because I honestly don’t know why I do this, lol. I really do want to read the book, I just never get around to it. But that changes this year! I want to read 1 book a month and my plan on how to get that done is with each book I plan to read, I will see how many pages are in the book and divide that by however many days are in that month. Knowing I will only have to read 5 pages a day will help me on getting the book finished.
- Eat Better. This is a must for me. I don’t want to eat better to lose weight or anything but to feel great in my own body. It is so normal for me to have stomach pains or not be able to digest on the norm (tmi). I’ve gotten really sick of how I feel after eating certain things so I’m hoping to make wiser choices on what to eat from now on. I pretty much never eat veggies unless it’s fried LOL. Anyways I know it’s important to make these decisions while you’re young and have a choice then when you’re old & forced.
- Travel. I’m not gonna sit here and act like I’ve never left Texas but there are so many places I want to see with no plan on when or if I’ll ever visit them. I am so ready for a new adventure and I’m craving to do some sightseeing. I’d like to take about 4 trips this year even if it is just a road trip 6 hours into Texas. I’m not saying I need to go to Greece, Italy, Hawaii, and Cancun to be satisfied because you can explore anywhere. Last year I went to L.A. for a few days and I knocked out about 20 things I wanted to do there in just 3 days! Yet I have lists of things to do here in Houston that I haven’t touched so I’m going to start my adventure here in my own city.
- Talk to God. If you know me then you know I am a Christian and pretty serious about my relationship with God. (No that does not mean I’m perfect or have ever not messed up for you new readers who don’t know me lol) But I am so bad when it comes to praying for myself. I am really good about praying for others like my friends and family or a post I read on social media but when it comes to me, I tend to put those prayers off. There are times when I go through a certain something and I don’t know what to do. Usually, I’m venting to a friend and they’ll ask me “well have you talked to God about this?” & I’m sitting there in shock like well no but.. and my friend will jump in asking if I’ve read my bible seeking for an answer from God and again my answer is no. So I want to grow closer to Him and by doing that, I’m going to be better at praying in the morning & night and reading my bible.
- Relationships. I am really really really bad about keeping a good relationship with friends and sometimes family. As much as I love the people who are in my life, I can use the excuse of being “too busy” to text someone back or asking someone to lunch to catch up. I love me some girl time yet I don’t go out of my way to make it happen. I don’t like to only see my GF’s on my birthday or a special occasion. There is nothing wrong with seeing someone during the week even if it is just for a few hours. So I want to be better at spending more quality time with the ones I love from friends to family. Specifically my girlfriends, grandmas, and dad 🙂
- Pray together. It is so important to Henry and me to keep God as the center of our relationship and although we go to church and serve and try our best to live a Christian life, we want to take things up a notch and what better way than to start praying together. I know it’s something that’s going to bring us closer which is what we want and we’re hoping it will give us a connection we don’t already have. Henry has asked e several times if I’d like him to pray for me and I would always get so weird about it and tell him no it’s okay or to just pray in his head (horrible, I know). So, for now, we’re praying before our meals together by taking turns praying. Eventually hoping they will go from prayers over our food to prayers over us and others.
- Love others. Now that we are in a relationship, we want others to feel like they can come to us for advice or anything it is that they need. We’ve been pretty selfish with each other and our time as in we hang out together and not so much with others lol. So this year we really just want to love on people and give others that confidence in knowing they can come to us about anything and we will be here for them.
- Stop comparing. I am the absolute worst when it comes to comparing myself to someone else so when I started my blog, I immediately started comparing mine to others and I would really get down on myself on how this didn’t look as good as someone else’s or I’m not as creative as this person & It really started to eat me up. I knew what I was doing was not okay so it’s still a day by day struggle of mine that I hope to get better at controlling this year. “Don’t compare your beginning to someone else’s middle” – Jon Acuff
- Accept where I’m starting. So when I first starting blogging, I wanted everything to come fast and when it didn’t I was like BUT WHY!? haha. I have to remind myself that I JUST started blogging and to take a chill pill. Good things come in time. I’m friends with a lot of other bloggers who are 10x more successful than I am so it’s easy to get caught up in what they’re getting to what I’m not and that is okay! I love where I’m at right now, I love the learning that comes with where I’m at but this is also another daily reminder I need to tell myself.
- Stay true to myself. This is huge. Going into an industry that so many people are getting into every single day, it’s so easy to want to do what everyone else is doing or wear what everyone else is wearing and that’s fine and all until those people who really love you for you start to see you become someone else. When I first became a blogger, so many people gave the advice to stay true to myself which is something I always hope to do! I want someone to want to read my blog because they know these words come from me and not someone else. I want someone to ask me for advice on where to eat or what to wear because they know I’ll be honest and not say what everyone else would say.
I hope you got a kick out of what my goals are for this year and got some motivation for your goals this year! Feel free to comment down below some of your goals for 2017 and be sure to check back at the end of the year to see if I’ve accomplished them or not 😉 Also a word of advice on how to stay true to your 2017 resolutions/goals. How many of us want to see a lasting change this year and not just for a few weeks? Make it a habit. Sometimes you don’t do something enough to love it. Make small goals you know you can accomplish. Don’t put too much on your plate knowing you can’t finish it all. A lot of us aren’t winning anywhere because we’re trying to win everywhere. Really focus on what it is you want this year, this is the year of yes so all those no’s you got in the past – be expecting to hear a yes this year. You got this! This is my “golden year” & it can be yours too.
Xx, Es <3